It has been a snowy couple of days here, and I find myself introspective as I snuggle under quilts with my cat and watch the flurries.

I recently bought the book Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth. I am really enjoying it! The first half of the book is all birth stories and the second half is about birth, interventions, and decisions that mothers-to-be need to be prepared to make. It is very educational and has me actually getting excited about the prospect of giving birth to June Bug.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

One of the things I have begun to think about is what I want our birth to be like. I know that I want a birth with no medications or unnecessary medical interventions. Giving birth in our birth center will put me on the right track for that. What I am not sure about is who I want to be there (parents? in-laws?), and if it would be beneficial to hire a doula to be there for us, as well. I do know that I don’t want any family in the room with us, but do I want them in the common area? Do I want anyone to stay with us right away to help out? These are the kinds of decisions that I struggle to work through. In part because it seems so far away (5 months!), but at the same time we need to start telling people what we want so that they can make plans…. and so that they can work through any disappointment there may be before the baby arrives! Did you/will you use a doula? Why/why not?

In other news, my husband and I are going to start house hunting next month! When we moved here we found a rental (there were only a handful of options) and we have a one year lease that ends at the end of June. June Bug is due on the second. Our sweet little cottage is very small, and while we could theoretically live here for a year with the baby, it would take a lot of rearranging and down-sizing our already significantly down-sized life. You can see the problem here, right?

So the plan is to start searching in January, giving us about 3 months to (hopefully!) find a house. I’d love to close at the end of March so that we can move in by the end of April/first part of May and be settled before June Bug makes her appearance. This should also give us just enough time to get settled in case she decides to come early. Again, this is all best case scenario. Who knows what will really happy. We already have a realtor we love though (he helped us find our rental and has already answered many of our questions), and that will make a big difference, I think. Any advice for first-time home buyers?

I feel like between baby decisions/plans, the holidays, and our upcoming house-hunt the next few months are going to FLY by. It takes me breath away sometimes.